Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain is one of the most common complaints that Osteopaths treat. Interestingly, nine out of ten people suffer from back pain at some stage of their life that incapacitates them for one week or more!
Common causes of lower back pain include:
- Heavy lifting or poor lifting technique
- Twisting or bending forward
- Muscle weakness
- Extensive standing, sitting and lying
- Poor sleeping posture
- Menstrual pain
- Insufficient flexibility
- Dysfunction in the thorax (middle back), lower limbs and pelvis
More serious causes of lower back pain include:
- Disc injury
No matter what the cause, Osteopaths, as primary health care practitioners, are well trained to perform comprehensive evaluation and diagnostic procedures to determine back pain which is uncomplicated and back pain that requires referral to your medical practitioner or specialist.
How can Osteopathy help?
Using a wide range of hands-on techniques, our Osteopaths can:
- Enhance joint mobility
- Decrease muscle tension/spasm, inflammation and nerve irritation
- Improve blood supply and drainage to and from the spine and pelvis
- Help prevent future episodes of back pain
- Offer advice on posture, ergonomics, exercises and stretching
- Provide guidance on diet and exercise programs
- Communicate and plan treatment and management with your general practitioner
- Refer you for radiological assessment when required, including X-ray, Ultrasound, CT or MRI